- This event has passed.
Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway River Sweep
April 23 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway’s 22nd annual River Sweep, a volunteer shoreline cleanup in celebration of Earth Day, will take place rain or shine in both Harford and Cecil counties.
River Sweep participants will fan out to spend the morning removing trash and other debris from the Upper Bay region, including the Chesapeake Bay, Susquehanna and North East rivers and their tributaries.
Those interested in volunteering on Garrett Island should bring their kayaks and canoes and meet at the Boat Launch in Perryville. Boaters are also welcome.
River Sweep volunteers are encouraged to wear old clothes (long sleeves and pants are recommended; shoes may get wet) and to bring work gloves.
Check in at any location is at 8:30 a.m. and clean up begins at 9 a.m.
To sign up as a volunteer, visit Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway’s website at https://www.upperbaytrails.com/riversweep.html. Volunteers who sign up in advance will receive lunch. Registration continues online through April 19.
Cecil County meeting spots:
- Marina Park, 190 South Main Street Port Deposit;
- Conowingo Community Park at Octoraro Creek, 1720 Susquehanna River Road, Conowingo;
- Conowingo Creek Boat Launch, 2 Mt. Zoar Road (Mt. Zoar Road and the water), Conowingo;
- Perryville Boat Launch/Garrett Island, 501 Roundhouse Drive, Perryville;
- Perryville Community Park, Marion Tapp Parkway, Perryville;
- Rodgers Tavern Museum, 259 Broad Street, Perryville;
- and Long Point, Conestoga Street, Charlestown.
Harford County meeting spots:
- Tydings Park, gazebo at Commerce Street, Havre de Grace;
- Susquehanna State Park, Deer Creek trestle bridge parking lot, Stafford Road, Havre de Grace;
- and Swan Harbor Farm, 401 Oakington Road, Havre de Grace.